Gunslinger Forum.com

A Heritage Firearms Rough Rider Fan Site.
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Gunslingerforum.com.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Forum rules

As with any great game there are rules.

1: This is a Family Site that means:
__ a: No sexually explicit pictures or avaters.
__ b: No vulgar profanity. (Keep it PG)
__ c: No personal insults (Argue the point, not the person.)

2: Keep all political/religious debates civil. Different viewpoints are good. Hating someone for that different is bad.

3: No "smack-talk" of someone elses gun. Every gun is a Heirloom to it's owner.

4: No spamming or fly-by-night sales. This isn't free-advertising.com! Go sell your stuff somewhere else.

5: If you don't like guns or shooting hobbies, go somewhere else! There are other places to go that feel that way and would love you to join them. Let us enjoy our hobby!

6: Have fun! You're here to relax and enjoy yourself. Keep it light and don't get caught up in the gun-smoke!

Post subject: Rossi Rio Grande 30-30
Unread postPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:02 am 
Gunslinger
Gunslinger

Rio Grande?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have one in 30-30? If so what has your experience been? I recently bought one in stainless . The gun felt pretty slick dry cycling at the shop but when getting it home and loading up had several issues, extractor slipping off rims, double feeding , sticky extraction of fired cases and difficulty getting the bolt to fully close on chambered rds. I replaced the OEM plastic mag follower with a stainless steel one from The Smith Shop of Warwick RI. , proceeded to fully load the gun and let sit. Of course I had given it a good cleaning and degreasing followed by a light lubing beforehand. From time to time over a month I'd cycle the gun empty and dry cycle it profusely then repeat with dummy rds I'd loaded. Weekly test firings showed improvement and now after a month of this regimen the gun seems to be ok... is working well The mag spring in these is very stout, perhaps too much so , I wonder if this could contribute to or cause double feeding? The other issues seem to have fixed themselves with breaking in as well. I would be interested in hearing from other Rio Grande shooters. This is the third new lever gun I've bought in 3 years to have some out of box issues, the other two being Marlin 1894s both of those needed more serious work. One ( 1894SS) had to go back to Marlin, the other ( 1894CSS) needed some ejector polishing to get to feed smoothly.

Post subject: Re: Rossi Rio Grande 30-30
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:27 am 
Gunslinger
Gunslinger

Have you tried a chamber brush? With that much trouble chambering and extracting you may have had some lingering thick rust preventive just left in the chamber. Ive found that in a couple of auto pistols. But once it was cleaned out with a chamber brush and dried the problem was solved. Have you had much chance to shoot the Rossi yet? Ive only seen them in pictures here. But they look cool! DR

Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:44 am 
Gunslinger
Gunslinger

Well I had thought the chamber might need some sort of polishing, I did clean it with #9 and patches so I'm pretty sure it's not a gunk issue. It's a little hard to explain, and I've never really seen this on a Marlin style gun , but I've seen Winchesters that were hard to close the last little bit because the extractor claw was maybe a bit oversized. A little polishing to the tip of the claw usually fixed it . It seems my issues have been mostly fit related but the idea of slicking up the chamber may help. I've done a couple Marlin Camp 9s much good, fixing extraction issues by taking a Flitz soaked bore mop on a rod chucked in a power drill and polishing the chamber.
I like this gun, it fits me to a T and looks to become a favorite provided it continues to repond to treatment. I'm going to give the bore and chamber both another good cleaning, bronze brush, patches, bore mop , everything twice and look at the internals to see if any burrs or nubs or such stand out as well. It does appear tho' that things are pretty much ok now, at least based on the last few rds fired.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:05 am 

Highscores: 1
I wish I could help ya. I don't know. Hope you find the culperate. It sounds like its a good gun.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:34 pm 
Gunslinger
Gunslinger

The pistols I found with problems were Millitary Surplus, and had been shot with the preservitive in the chambers till it was cooked in. Solvent and a powered brush finally removed it. one was a Soviet Tokarov, and the bottle neck case kept a bore brush from scrubbing the chamber sides. I ended up using a 223 chamber brush to get at it. You may need a 44 cal brush to get at the sides of a 3030. good luck DR

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:34 pm 
Gunslinger
Gunslinger

Thanks DR, it looks like this gun's issues have been fixed by just working the action with loaded rds. I can do this outdoors and am rural so I'd go out on the deck load up and cycle 'em thru. In the meantime I left the gun's mag fully loaded and did replace the plastic follower with a stainless one from The Smith Shop in Warwick RI as I mentioned in the OP. Sent the chap a personal check and had the follower in 8 days, pretty good I think. Seems like Prvi Partisan ammo may not run as smooth as Winchester also, go figure.

http://www.thesmithshop.com/magfollow.html