Gunslinger Forum.com

A Heritage Firearms Rough Rider Fan Site.
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Gunslingerforum.com.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Forum rules

As with any great game there are rules.

1: This is a Family Site that means:
__ a: No sexually explicit pictures or avaters.
__ b: No vulgar profanity. (Keep it PG)
__ c: No personal insults (Argue the point, not the person.)

2: Keep all political/religious debates civil. Different viewpoints are good. Hating someone for that different is bad.

3: No "smack-talk" of someone elses gun. Every gun is a Heirloom to it's owner.

4: No spamming or fly-by-night sales. This isn't free-advertising.com! Go sell your stuff somewhere else.

5: If you don't like guns or shooting hobbies, go somewhere else! There are other places to go that feel that way and would love you to join them. Let us enjoy our hobby!

6: Have fun! You're here to relax and enjoy yourself. Keep it light and don't get caught up in the gun-smoke!

Post subject: Been gone....
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:05 pm 

....for a few days because the family and I spent a nice long weekend at the gun club. So the days prior to that were spent getting everything ready (since we take EVERY gun we own when we do this!). And the next few days will be spent trying to get them all cleaned (the guns sick boys!) and putting them all back where they belong in the gun room.

I also have to spend some time after that doing some R&D on some of the reload rounds I tested out this weekend. The 9x19's worked just fine along with the .223's and .38 specials. But the .380's didn't have quite enough of a charge to operate the slide every time. So I'll have to bump that up ever so slightly and test some more. And my .45 colt ammo worked just fine in my Rossi lever action, however it didn't make my Heritage revolvers very happy? :? After one or 2 shots with each of my Heritage's the cylinder would get stuck. :hmmm: The OAL was just fine so I have to assume it either had something to do with the primer or the case not being sized quite right? :dunno: I'll know more later after some studying.

But other than all that we had a GREAT time! :mrgreen: Nothing like great weather, loving family and bonding time with the kid and guns to make for a relaxing time! :thumb:
The kid was smokin targets all weekend with anything and everything she picked up! From breaking clays with her single shot 20g to knocking the centers out of paper targets and little exploding tannerite targets. Not to mention the actual tannerite cannisters we were blowing up! :twisted: The wife also took one of the tannerite cannisters down with her 91/30 from about 75 yards or so! Pathetic old man I am had to use the SU with the scope! ;)

I also got to see and shoot a 5,000 dollar race gun that a guy in the berm next to us was practicing with! Even his mags were about 150 bucks a piece! :shock:
I went over to get a pic of the thing I'd never own and he let me shoot it. Let's just say that although it was sweet with less than a pound trigger...... I'd still never own a gun like that even if I win the lottery tonight! Too specialized of a gun to be fun IMHO.

The wife even shot my coach gun (12g) and took down a clay with it while we were there! But I forgot to make her shoot both barrels at once! :twisted:

And her and the kid were wreaking some havoc with their 20 gauge's as well. ;)

And one of me and the kid shootin clays just for S&G's. ;)

Post subject: Re: Been gone....
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:21 pm 

Highscores: 1
Sweet!

Maybe it's a good thing your wife didn't shoot both barrels of the 12 gage at the same time or you'd might be doing all the laundry now. :groan:

I agree with you on the race gun too. At $150 per mag, I'd lose every event slowly ejecting the mag; making sure they didn't fall and get dirty.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:46 pm 
sounds like a great weekend! when you get to the Heritages, check the center pins. on an Uberti 45 I used to shoot two and it would lock up. I found that the center pin was walking out. to fix it I deepened the locking groove and put a stiff spring in its retainer. no problems since. the other posibility is that if your ammo is not crimped tight enough, sometimes the bullits will walk out [ from recoil] enough to lock it up. I use a roll crimp and a buddy uses a Lee factory crimp to prevent it. when I get some bullits cast Ill send you a sample pack. I got a new mold for cas shooting that has 160gr flat nose bullits. a buddy gave me some to try in my lever gun, and they worked fine. so I bought the mold. Im also casting some 300gr gas checked for hog hunting. those are for the lever gun or single shot only! I load those with the over all length too long to go in the revolvers so no one accidently puts one in the wrong gun. DR

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:33 pm 

I do my own laundry anyhow Ulmus. :oops:

I never checked the center pins DR? But to be honest I'm pretty sure they weren't the issue. The guns still shot fine with factory ammo before and after that happened. Plus when I was trying to take the cylinders out to break them free the pins were in solid and the cylinders were still a bit tough to take out after the pins were out. :dunno:
I used a Lee factory crimp on them and they seemed to still be good in that area. I haven't measured them yet, but even if they had moved out of the casing a bit they were still well away from sticking too far out of the cylinder to make it jam as far as I'm aware??? :dunno: And I hand primed the brand new star line brass on these, so I don't think it's case bulge that wasn't resized or primers that were sticking out too far? I don't know, at this point I just have to finish cleaning all of the guns and then I can delve into what the issue was. Hopefully it was something simple and easy to rectify.

I'd love to try out some of your cast baby's! 160 grain huh? That's a small round for the colt? I'd have to look and see if I even have a powder formula for a round that light? I know I do for the 300 grain though. But why are you not keeping the OAL short enough to fit a revolver? Would it make pressures too high?

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:14 pm 
I could probably shoot them through a Ruger or Freedom arms but colt or there copys cylinders are too thin for that kind of pressure. look at the side walls of your chambers and you will see that they are egg shell thin at the very outside. got to rember these were designed for BP. any gun that could take the 454, or 500S&W could also shoot these! DR

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:31 pm 

Well I figured out why my Heritage revolvers didn't want to cycle my reloads. :oops:

Apparantly my first attempt at using my hand primer wasn't a very consistant one.
A few of my rounds had the primers sticking out of the case a bit. :oops:
So when I'd cycle the cylinder the one's sticking up would catch on the gear teeth for the cylinder rotation.
Lesson learned I guess? Even though I probably wont be using the hand primer for these rounds again now that I have the large primer attachments I need for my Lee Loadmaster. But nonetheless I now now what to look for if I ever make a goober rookie mistake like that again.

And I could've sworn I've heard of guys shooting 300 grain 45 colt ammo out of SA guns? Are you saying the charge would be too high for that kind of load?

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:32 pm 
In a modern lever gun, I can shoot the 300s up to about 2100fps, mine run closer to 1900fps. in a colt style pistol I could only safely shoot them to around 700fps without over pressuring the gun. the max factory load has a 255gr bullit going 900fps. on your primer problem , Ive been there. my first reloads were not real consistant. the reason I quit using Lees progressive loader was that I had problems with the priming. first it wouldnt feed primers, then it would feed severl of them at once , and I had problems getting a consistant seating. I finally started hand priming , and set them all on a flat surface to recheck the primers.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:18 am 

Well to be honest I'm not sure of my actual fps with the load I set up. I'm sure my load manual gave me an "expected" fps, but I'm not sure what it is at the moment.

I used a 252 grain cast lube band bullet with 5.2 grains of Titegroup powder on a Wolf large primer inside a starline brass case.
It felt real close to the factory loads I've been shooting. And to be honest I couldn't tell the difference.

I guess I should invest in a chrongraph to check my loads and see what I'm getting from them.
I'll also keep in mind what you said about not getting to high with revolver loads. I never knew that I needed to keep them lower than my lever action loads? :dunno:

So far I've had no issue's with my progressive press in terms of primers. Well at least not that weren't my fault. :oops: LOL
I've actually been very happy with my Loadmaster so far.

By the way, when you crimp your bullets do you use a factory crimp die or do you use the crimp you get from the seating die? Or do you go even further and use a roll crimp die for revolver rounds?
Because so far all I've been using is a factory crimp die for all of my loads. But I did pick up a roll crimp die for my .38 S&W, I just haven't tried it yet. I've read in a couple places that roll crimps are supposed to be better for revolvers? :dunno:

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:21 am 
Mine is an old die set that puts a roll crimp on while seating the bullit. sometimes it takes a couple to get the seating depth and crimp right but Ive had it long enough that Im used to it. tight group is fast burning and very clean. its one of my favorites. it also seems to give more recoil, and others have noticed a sharper report for the same velosity. so they may not be going as fast as you think. my book shows your load at 730 fps.[ from a 7" barrel]

most of my loads would easily go in both revolvers and lever gund but that load can not. I would tho not be afraid to shoot anything with it that Id normaly find where I hunt. deer, hogs , black bear, etc...

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:54 am 

dangerranger wrote:
most of my loads would easily go in both revolvers and lever gund but that load can not. I would tho not be afraid to shoot anything with it that Id normaly find where I hunt. deer, hogs , black bear, etc...

I assume you're talking about the 300 grain load here?