Gunslinger Forum.com

A Heritage Firearms Rough Rider Fan Site.
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to Gunslingerforum.com.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Forum rules

As with any great game there are rules.

1: This is a Family Site that means:
__ a: No sexually explicit pictures or avaters.
__ b: No vulgar profanity. (Keep it PG)
__ c: No personal insults (Argue the point, not the person.)

2: Keep all political/religious debates civil. Different viewpoints are good. Hating someone for that different is bad.

3: No "smack-talk" of someone elses gun. Every gun is a Heirloom to it's owner.

4: No spamming or fly-by-night sales. This isn't free-advertising.com! Go sell your stuff somewhere else.

5: If you don't like guns or shooting hobbies, go somewhere else! There are other places to go that feel that way and would love you to join them. Let us enjoy our hobby!

6: Have fun! You're here to relax and enjoy yourself. Keep it light and don't get caught up in the gun-smoke!

Post subject: High Standard Sport King Rifle Troubles
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:40 am 
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Favorite Heritage: rough rider 22
OK Guru's, I need some advice! I recently acquired a sport king deluxe, tube fed .22 rifle that had been...well lets just say its been "neglected"!!
I took her down and cleaned her up, as well as, Duracoated the metal parts in matte black. While she was apart, I re-finished the stock completely. Man, she is lovely now! While doing this project I have searched for info on this rifle and found very little. I did get a breakdown list of parts (which assisted in takedown and reassembly) but thats about it. Now that shes back together, I cant get her to feed properly. I can hand cycle the rounds very slowly and it loads rounds into chamber ok. But if I pull the bolt back and let it fly, it will shove the rounds nose up into the top of the chamber and hang up. I did load the tube just under maximum and tried firing it to see what she would do. I babyied the bolt closed to load the 1st round. It fired the 1st round, ejected the spent casing, the next round hung up, nose up! I cleared the round, and eased another into the chamber. Shot the round off and ejected the casing, only to hang up feeding the next round again. This continued until half the rounds were bent nearly in half and the other half that were babyied in were fired. As beautiful as this rifle turned out, I hate that she wont operate correctly! Have any of you guys had experience with a tube fed .22 not feeding correctly? What advice have you, for me to try and correct this problem? Any help is most appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: High Standard Sport King Rifle Troubles
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:53 pm 

:hmmmm:
Can't say as I even know what it looks like since I've never heard of one. :oops:
But maybe some pics would help to disect the issue? :dunno:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:53 pm 
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

1st pic is my son(who looks totally miserable) holding the sport king.

and another...
This is where my problem lies...

I realize theres not much you can tell from that, so when I can take her down to re-rub the stock i'll take more pics of just the feed lips and throat assy.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:10 am 

He doesn't look miserable to me...... Just puttin on his tough guy face since he's holdin a gun! :wink1:

Pretty little gun ya have there! :thumbsup:

As for why it's nosin up rounds....... :? ...... It has to be either spring pressure or the feed ramp I'd say? :dunno: If it were a mag fed design I'd say it was a feed lip issue. But since it's a tube fed I'd say it would most likely be a fedd ramp thing?

Is the tube from the butt of the stock or is it under the barrel? Looks like it's under the barrel from the pics? If so then I'd have to see the actual mechanics that bring the next round up. Could be it's coming up too fast or too slow which could mean a simple spring change somewhere could handle it by changing the timing.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:04 am 
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

:hmmmm: Thats a good point, Ape. I did mess with the "feed lips" on the throat assy a lil in the rear hoping it would let go of the round easier. But, like you say, the lever and spring that actually shoves the rounds upward may have something to do with the problem! I will take her down tonight after work and check things out some more. I will also take some pics of it and try to show all the parts involved. Maybe a lil adjusting will get her going again. Thanks again...to be continued.....

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:07 pm 

:thumbsup:
Not that I helped....but I'm lookin forward to hearing what you find. :wink1:

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:50 pm 

Highscores: 1
I wish I knew how to help. Ape's thought sounds really good to me.

Let us know how it works and good luck!

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:46 am 
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Still tinkering and trying to figure it out. Heres a pic of whats happening.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:53 am 

I take it that's a top view without the wood attached? :hmmmm:

If so then how in the heck is it getting twisted sideways too????? :hmmmm:

EDIT: Oops.... Never mind, that's a side view.
So how does the feed ramp look? Is it dinged up at all?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:03 am 
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Yes, I took the stock off. The rear of the round will not kick up from the feed lips when the jam occurs. The feeding ramp is extremely stiff, Ive tried to bend the "lips" out a lil bit hoping that was the problem. You know, like feed lips on a magazine. They will adjust slightly, but are really stiff and wont give much at all. I thought about just ordering a new throat assy, Which is the whole feeding ramp including the lips. Im not sure What else to do at this point.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:29 am 
Gunslinger
Gunslinger

Favorite Heritage: 6.5in. Blue 22 Combo
Odd. Sounds just the opposite of most .22 rifles I've shot - I've seen semiauto .22 rifles that would jam that way when manually cycling the first load if you tried to do it slowly and carefully. If you pull back and just release, letting it snap forward quickly, they load fine. Wish I had some advice for you.

The Winchester 190 I picked up at a gunshow a couple of weeks ago would consistently jam like that when firing, resulting in a bent round, on the next to the last round in the tube mag - however, the spring in the inner mag tube assembly was bad and I think that was causing most of the problem. The rifle also needed cleaning/lubing. I ordered a new inner mag tube assembly, cleaned the chamber using a Q-tip and Hoppes, sprayed a few drops of Winchester Break-free in there, dried that out with a clean Q-tip then used another clean Q-tip to put a thin layer of Hoppes gun grease in the places that I thought needed it. I've only put about sixty rounds downrange since all that but haven't had a single hiccup, yet. Maybe yours needs a little extra lube?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:06 pm 
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

I did spray some Rem oil all over the bolt assy and moving parts during assy but I didnt put any sort of grease. I think I'll get some Hoppes gun grease for it and see if that helps. Thanks JAB!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:14 am 
My grandfather used to call his "The Gill Gun". because of the grill oposite of the ejection port. Im afraid that if the feed lips have been tweeked its time for new ones. the place to find more info on them is Rimfire central. they have a hy standard section. good luck DR.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:22 pm 
Gunslinger
Gunslinger

Favorite Heritage: 6 1/2"
Here's another WAG: Look closely at the extractor. Disassembling the bolt would be best, if you can do that. Clean the entire assembly while it's in pieces, paying special attention the the slot the extractor rides in, and the extractor spring. If the spring has weakened to the point where it won't hold the extractor in the correct position, or the slot is all gummed up, it could be causing the feed problem.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:59 am 
Tenderfoot
Tenderfoot

Sorry Guys, been busy lately and havent posted in a while. I got her fixed. I replaced the throat assy 1st. This is a 1pc assy that transfers the rounds from the feeder tube into the chamber which also includes the feed lips. Well, unfortunately that wasnt my problem. If you look back at the last pic I posted you can see a little lever above the round. This lever has a spring above it that pushes the rounds down and guides each round into chamber. I figured this spring was a lil weak and not pushing the nose of the round down hard enough. So I purchased another spring for it and Tah-Dah! that was it!! She's feeding great now!
All that hair pulling trying to figure out why she wouldnt feed...ending up being a $2 spring! :groan:

Thanks again for all your input and suggestions guys!

Edit to include all the parts replaced before I figured out what was wrong:
Throat assy-$19+shipping
Extractor-$7,Extractor plunger and spring-$4+shipping
I broke the damn extractor trying to install into bolt assy!! AAAUUUGHH! *&^%$#@$%!!!!! :oops:
Another extractor-$7+shipping=got this one in without breaking it!! :whistle:
Little spring above lever that was the actuall problem-$2+shipping

Having an autofeed .22 rifle that functions perfectly-PRICELESS!!!

Last edited by 95shakinPF on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.